Sunday, October 30, 2011

Halloween and Pie!

     Halloween isn't till Monday.  However, I'm assuming most Halloween plans are being made for Friday the 28th and Saturday the 29th, right? It just doesn't make sense that anyone would be partying it up on a Monday night. 

     So anyways, my Halloween plans were for Friday and Saturday, so my Halloween is pretty much over now.  On Friday, I went over to a friend's house and stayed over.  We played dart tag, board games, card games, drank tea, watched movies, looked at her old high school yearbooks, ate pie, drank cider and went to sleep.  It was so fun acting like 10 year olds with her.  Then, Saturday morning, we slept in too late, got ready in a rush and then went to a family Halloween bash on her college campus.  That was pretty great.  There were tons of little kids there, which makes sense because it was a "family" party, so there were plenty of fun and silly games.  Kristin and Austin both played the competition of who could eat a doughnut hanging by a string the fastest.  That was pretty amusing! We also got popcorn hands, candy and a few other things. 

     Here was my Halloween costume: (stitches, bruises on my neck from being strangled, sunken in dead eyes, broken foot = Dead Ballerina.  I know it was pretty lame, but I didn't get a costume this year and then I realized I had to wear one to the parties so I just threw something together with my old ballet stuff and a little makeup.)


      Then, I went home and went to a party hosted by my parents' close friends.  Of course all of the adult-adults were drinking and being inappropriate, but there were activities for everyone.  They had a massive amount of yummy food, and both sugar and paper mache skulls to paint.  The paint provided was AMAZING.  There was every color you could think of, plus glitters and metallics and everything! I painted one paper skull and one small sugar skull.  Here's the pictures:






     So, the pie!  You want the recipe, right?  Well, this time I finally followed a recipe and didn't replace any ingredients with stuff I wasn't supposed to use!  I was so proud of myself.  However, I did add in stuff.  That's always okay, right?




Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie

Adapted from: here

Ingredients:

- 12 ounces (1 package and a half, usually) softened cream cheese
- 1 cup white sugar (split into two 1/2 cups for different uses)
- 1 dash vanilla extract
- 1 dash lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 (12 ounce) can blueberry pie filling
- 1 prepared graham cracker crust
- 2 cups fresh blueberries (*optional)

Directions:

-In large bowl, combine cream cheese, 1/2 cup sugar, lemon and vanilla extracts.  Mix well.

-In a medium bowl, whip heavy cream and 1/2 cup sugar until stiff peaks form.

-Fold 1/2 whipped cream into cream cheese mixture.

-Spread cream cheese and whipped cream mixture into crust.

-Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours.

-Dot pie with blueberry pie filling and spread around with spatula.

-Top with remaining whipped cream and then scatter blueberries on top.

-Refrigerate for at least 2 more hours.

Notes:

The way that I prepared my store bought graham cracker crust was I whisked one egg white, brushed it on the crust and baked the graham cracker crust at 375 Fahrenheit for ten minutes while I was making the mixtures.  You could always leave the store bought crust as it is without baking, but the baking really brings out the rich taste of the graham crackers.  You could also make your own graham cracker crust from scratch if you're going all out.

The refrigerating after spreading the filling into the pie is a step I added in.  The original recipe said to dot with the blueberry pie filling right after you put the cream cheese filling in, but I wouldn't do that.  I refrigerated mine because if you put the blueberry filling on right away, the cream cheese mixture will still be too soft and will spread around with the blueberry filling and make a mess. 

Review:

I LOVED this recipe.  It was so simple, easy, cheap and delicious!  You could easily replace the blueberry pie filling and fresh berries with any other type of pie filling!  I would LOVE to try blackberry, because can you imagine the tartness of the blackberries with that creamy, rich filling?  Yum.  The graham cracker crust just added the nicest touch to it, and the fresh blueberries on top gave each bite a burst of fresh flavor.  I am definitely going to make this again, but probably with blackberries and take it to my family's Thanksgiving dinner!


     Alright, well after that long post I think I'll go rinse out my cup of tea, make a new cup and watch some TV.  After all of the weekend excitement I think I deserve a lazy Sunday.

     Later!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice and leave a nice comment! :D Also, please tell me how you found my blog! Thanks! :]